Thursday, March 02, 2006

Why do we need to use consequences?

A young lady I work with said to me today "Why are all the consequences negitive"
"I feel I am being punished"!
Wow! let me get this right... our consequences do not make things better? They only make things worse!
Screw that, I don't want to make things worse.
What does someone do to help someone else make better choices. If I can't make someone do something how will they figure it out? If I can't manage them how will they manage themselves?
Maybe they should be part of the solution, give input and feedback! Co-manage...
I work at a place where we are attempting something so new it scares those of us who work there because it makes us come to terms with the fact, WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL!
In reality those we serve are the ones in control! Some of us have a hard time understanding this! After all we are the grown-ups, we know what is best for those we serve. Don't we?
Well maybe we don't, maybe we don't know jack about them or their problems. Maybe what we need to do is begin building true relationships based on dignity respect and honesty. If you visit this blog more than once you will see that pharse repeatedly...DIGNITY RESPECT HONESTY. easy to type but it can be so hard to live by, after all we are all human and we feel like everyone else. What touches me touches everyone I interact with!
This is going to take some work......Tune in and judge for yourself...
Feedback is always welcome....Thoughts and ideas are also more than welcome.
Share what you can.

No comments: