Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Stress

In the last five days I have placed hands on some of those I serve too many times and it almost happened again today! Being an adolescent away from home ( no matter what the home was like) must be so scary and lonely. I have to keep in mind that although those I serve are not "normal" they do have feelings just like everyone else. As a matter of fact they are in touch with those feelings more than most of those who work here! Also they have so much more crap in their lives that just make feeling a scary thing to do so they can often act out. I struggle with not responding to a behavior with a behavior of my own. This gets no one anywhere except into a senseless power struggle. I need to remember that I do have a working relationship with every one of the girls I work with. They let me help them in times of high emotional turmoil and depend on the staff to keep them safe when they can not.
I have to keep asking myself, "what caused the behavior" and not get caught up in the behavior they present. This can be hard when the behavior is dangerous to themselves or someone else. The behaviors can be violence to themselves, Cutting, scratching, severe head banging, just to name a few. We all have reactions to these behaviors yet we need to discover the antecedents If we hope to help them break the cycle of self injury or violence.
As hard as it is for those we serve it is just as hard to see someone hurt themselves. I sometimes find myself crying as I process with co-workers the events of the day. Thank goodness I have co-workers that understand what stress can do to someone and are willing to let us feel without judging. It would be impossible to work where I do without their support! This job is not a contest about who can do this or that, rather how we can all help keep those we serve safe.
I left today emotionally exhausted and at the same time pleased that we were able to help someone stay safe.

No comments: