Friday, April 06, 2007

I -vs- We

Language can be confusing at times. Have you ever listened to someone who was responding to a question that you thought had a simple answer and were shocked to learn it was not so simple after all? What about trying to get answer to who was responsible for something? I have noticed the all of a sudden I begin to hear a very passive "we" instead of "I".
I struggle we responsibility at times, we( see I did it here) all do for many different reasons but in general I do own what I do. How easy it is to use the passive "we" to hide ourselves when confronted with our actions. I was listening to Public radio today and almost every politician used "we" instead of I when answering questions of any kind, never mind the questions asking who was at fault. It seems the only time our elected officials use "I" is when they want our vote and then it seems they lose the "I" and go back to the "we" after the election.
Now that the 2008 presidential election has started I will be interested in how those seeking election choose their words. Will they use I or we? Time will tell and we have almost a year and a half until the election.

No comments: